Leonie and I finally got started on our Christmas baking - we made hazelnut and coconut macaroons. It's a really simple recipe for both - and you can use whatever ground nuts you prefer. I usually use hazelnuts because that's how my mom used to make them, but they are also very delicious with ground almonds.
You will need - ground nuts, coconut, sugar and egg whites
There's a simple rule:
per 200 grams (= 1 cup) of sugar and ground nuts or coconut you will need 2 eggs
200 (400) grams/ 1 (2) cup(s) of sugar
200 (400) grams/ 1 (2) cup(s) of ground hazelnuts or coconut
(or any other ground nuts for that matter)
2 (4) eggs
- beat the egg whites until they are totally firm
- add the sugar in little steps while still using the mixer
- once you can't "hear" the sugar anymore turn off the mixer
- gently fold in the ground nuts or coconuts
- add a teaspoon of dough to every wafer
(you don't have to use wafers, you might as well add the dough to a baking sheet)
- you can garnish your macaroons by adding a hazelnut or almond on top of them
- preheat your oven to 170 °F and bake the macaroons for about 20 minutes
- keep an eye on them, you don't want them to get too dark, that'll make them dry and too crunchy
- I always take them out when they are still a bit moist inside, that way they stay soft longer.
You can easily check on them by trying one (be careful not to burn your tongue- they're hot).
We love adding a bit dark chocolate to our coconut macaroons - makes them even more delicious. We made 2 baking trays full of both kinds - we're planning on making more tomorrow and we will also make some butter cookies and other yummy Christmas cookies. I will certainly keep you posted!
Have you been baking? Please share your recipes, I love trying new kinds!
Hope your week has been nothing but wonderful so far -